- Know and understand business concepts, business terminology, business objectives, the integrated nature of business activity and the impact of business on individuals and wider society
- Apply knowledge and understanding to contemporary business issues and to different types and sizes of businesses in local, national and global contexts
- Develop as enterprising individuals with the ability to think commercially and creatively to demonstrate business acumen, and draw on evidence to make informed business decisions and solve business problems
- To equip students with the appropriate knowledge and skills needed to develop their employability and identify business problems and opportunities.
- Detailed and thorough curriculum planning lies at the heart of what we do in the business department. We am committed to responsive teaching and medium and long-term development of business schemes of work.
- We use all available resources and teaching strategies to ensure that students have a comprehensive knowledge of the specifications and are capable of going beyond what is taught in lessons.
- Techniques to help develop long-term memory and help students master subject content are embedded in the curriculum.
- These are focussed on embedding challenge, metacognition, memory techniques, numeracy, and literacy into our departmental curriculum.
- We also implement our curriculum through using a variety of teaching strategies and kinaesthetic tasks as well as more traditional skills practice. I make full use of the Microsoft applications for education and all students use this to access the departmental resources both in lessons for coursework and remotely.
- We know our curriculum is working in the business studies department as coursework and external examination results are consistently in line with national average and working to exceed it from 2021.
- The quality of teaching and learning in Business has been praised during learning walks by both external and internal observers.
- The number of students choosing to study Post 16 Business are very high and a number of our students go on to study the subjects further at university.
- More importantly, students frequently express their enjoyment of Business, the quality of teaching they have received and their appreciation of the knowledge and study skills they have gained from the department.